Commercial Motor Vehicle Permits And Related Laws

If you are a motor carrier and intend to enter some of the states mentioned on this page, you will need to obtain the necessary credentials, licenses, and permits before traveling into these states. To ensure you're prepared for your journey, join forces with DOT Compliance Group. Our team will not only provide guidance on the necessary permits and registrations, but also ensure accurate submission of all your paperwork.

Apply to get state permit
Commercial Motor Vehicle Permits And Related Laws

Arizona Permits

Motor carriers traveling to a destination within or through the State of Arizona are required to have proper permits and registration, depending on the nature of the carrier’s operation. The carrier is subject to Arizona registration if the vehicle or vehicle combination has a GVWR of 12,000 lbs. or more. If the vehicle is a road tractor, truck tractor, truck, or passenger-carrying vehicle propelled by diesel and has a GVWR over 26,000 lbs. and more than two axles, a use fuel permit will be issued to them.

Arizona Single-Trip Permits

Arizona Single-Trip Permits

These permits, commonly called one-way permits, expire after 96 hours (four days) or upon exiting the State, whichever occurs first. Get your single trip permit with DOT Compliance Group based on the miles you will travel within the State.
Arizona Envelope Permit?

Arizona Envelope Permit?

Issued for a nonspecific and non-reducible vehicle or cargo load that does not exceed 250,000 lbs. in gross weight, 14 feet in width, 16 feet in height, or 120 feet in overall length, and that has at least four axles. You can get your envelope permit with us for 30 days or annually.

New Mexico Weight Distance Tax Permit

In New Mexico, motor vehicles with a declared gross vehicle weight (DGVW) exceeding 26,000 pounds are subject to a weight-distance tax. Registering, reporting, and paying weight-distance taxes every quarter is necessary to ensure compliance while operating on New Mexico highways. Failure to do so may result in a trip tax each time you enter or exit the state. The weight-distance tax is calculated by multiplying the miles traveled within New Mexico by the corresponding tax rate.

Each year, companies are required to complete registration and application processes for a New Mexico Weight Distance Tax Electronic Permit for every vehicle they operate. A weight-distance plate is issued to ensure compliance for vehicles registered in New Mexico subject to the weight-distance tax and travel within the state.

Kentucky Permit Requirements

Ensuring compliance for travel in Kentucky in a commercial vehicle, whether private or for hire, is imperative. You must obtain an active KYU number if the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) exceeds 59,999 lbs. This essential permit is vital to enable penalty-free travel through Kentucky.

KYU Number

KYU Number

Kentucky Weight Distance number (KYU) is required for any carrier over 59,999 pounds traveling in Kentucky and the KYU number is a tax license issued for the Kentucky Weight Distance Tax.
10-Day Permit

Temporary 10-Day Permit

The alternative to securing a permanent KYU number, is requesting a 10-Day Kentucky Number Temporary Permit for any trips through Kentucky.

Apply For Your Texas Permits Stress-Free With Us

You will need a permit to legally travel on Texas highways in a commercial vehicle or bus. These permits can only be issued to commercial vehicles and buses owned by United States, Mexico, or Canadian residents. To ensure you are fully prepared for your upcoming journey, partner up with DOT Compliance Group. Our experienced team will go above and beyond by offering comprehensive assistance with the required permits and registrations, ensuring that all your paperwork is accurately submitted.

Applicable to trucks, truck-tractors, trailers, semi-trailers, or motor buses. It is important to know that a valid USDOT number is a prerequisite for acquiring a 72-Hour Permit.
Applicable to trucks, truck-tractors, trailers, semi-trailers, or motor buses. It is important to know that a valid USDOT number is a prerequisite for acquiring a 144-Hour Permit.
We at DOT Compliance Group, help you with all your permits, licenses, and other formalities that you need to fulfill to enter different states across the country for your business operations. Get the most relevant permits with us today.